Thursday, October 18, 2012

Interning with Katie Parla

Er Buchetto: Porchetta

Italiano: Porchetta
English: Italian Pork Roast

What does porchetta and interning have to do with each other you may wonder? As of a few weeks ago, I began interning for one of Rome's infamous online food critics Katie Parla of Parla Food

Prior to meeting her, I was first introduced to her website, or specifically her iPhone/iPad app Rome for Foodies by my roommate Mac. Our first weeks here in Rome were filled with constant research on where to grab a quick bite, a good artisan cup of gelato, and places to enjoy a nice glass of wine. Combined with her blog and app, we realized quickly Katie Parla was the go-to reference for all of our foodie adventures. 

After our school orientation, Mac and I realized that one of the scheduled events was a food lecture by Katie herself. The minute we sat down, I felt at ease, and was blown away by all the knowledge she possessed about the food culture in Rome. Inspired to move to Rome, after studying abroad here herself, I became a big fan. With Mac's encouragement (thank goodness!), we went up to her after her lecture and asked if she took interns, she delivered the glorious positive news of, "yes," and gave us her business card. 

While Mac scored an awesome internship at Vino Roma, a wine studio in Monti, I in turn was given the opportunity to intern with Katie Parla. 

Porchetta

There are a few projects that I am working on with her guidance, but in addition to these, I've also reviewed a couple budget friendly places for her viewers to reference. My first guest blog post was posted yesterday. You can read my experience at Er Buchetto here

I am more than honored to be working with Katie, and I can hands down say it's been one of the best things about studying abroad thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment