Tuesday, November 13, 2012

London

Classic Red Telephone Booth Photograph


The last three days of our week-long travels were spent in London, England. I had the absolute honor of staying with Mac's cousin Marissa and her family. Marissa, and her family were great hosts (including two-year old Lila who was quite the chatterbox, and proper British child!). While Kate visited her friend, Mac and I enjoyed lovely events such as high tea, strolling through covent garden, having a night with diplomats (oh, yes), coffee shop time, a bit of Shakespere, and endless hours walking through London.





The Athenaeum Hotel: Afternoon Tea

We arrived early Halloween Morning to a slightly-overcast, but rain-free London. After settling in at Marissa's apartment, Mac and I walked through Covent Garden, saw Buckingham Palace, and ventured to The Athenaum for high tea. High Tea was easily one of the highlights of our trip (of course, it's food oriented). Thanks to Mac's great research, we chose a place voted best afternoon tea for 2012. We were adorned with fresh pots of Earl Grey, way too many tea sandwiches, delicious scones and crumpets accompanied by jam and clotted cream, as well as an eye-blowing dessert cart. We were so full by the second course, that we barely touched our dessert. Luckily, this wasn't the best course of all three. We stayed at The Athenaum for a couple of hours, chatted with one of the hosts for a bit who gave us great recommendations for things to do, and places to go try in London. We left stuffed, and with a list of great suggestions!





Mac at Buckingham Palace; Wellington Arch; 
Mac and I at Horse Guards where Olympic Beach Volleyball took place; Big Ben


On our second day in London, we partook in another Sandeman's free walking tour. Unfortunately, this walking tour was nothing in comparison to Dublin's tour. Yes, it was an informational three hours, and our tour guide was a vibrant and enthusiastic lad, but Mac and I found ourselves extremely anxious during the entire thing. Maybe it's because we've both been to London before, but there were many moments when we contemplated leaving. Instead, we stuck it out, and re-learned the history of London's main attractions, some of which are photographed above. I think our favorite was at Horse's Guard, which was the only location in the center of London where an actual Olympic event took place: Beach Volleyball. Our tour guide joked that the Prime Minister (whose house is in the square), may have partook in choosing beach volleyball as the event to take place there. I wouldn't blame him, considering Misty May and Kerri Walsh were about to win a third time in a row (although, our tour guide alluded to other things).

Rock n'Sol: Fish n'Chips


There aren't many traditional cuisines to London that necessarily make me want to go out of the way to try, but fish n'chips is a must have. Thanks to Mac's brother Chris, who previously studied abroad in London, he recommend the perfect lunch spot to chow down on this British classic. These fish n'chips were superb. The fish, although deep-fried, tasted super fresh. Every bite melted in my mouth. The fries were a nice compliment, and of course we ate them with vinegar (the British way). 

                                            
King's Cross Station: Platform 9 3/4

I forwarnd the girls that we would be seeing lots of Harry Potter paraphernalia, but for some reason we actually didn't see any. The last time I went to London in 2009, I felt that I had seen a ton, but I think the last movie had just came out, so the British were definitely hyping up their magical connection.

Regardless, with time to spare on Thursday, Mac said we should just hop on the metro and take our touristy photo, so that we did. There was a line to snap a shot with the cart in the wall. Yes, it was silly, but when in London, right?



Indian Food

Before consuming the delicious Indian food above, Mac and I spent our night at the U.S. Embassy with diplomats! How this came about:

Marissa, Mac's lovely cousin, has worked the past couple of years at the U.S. Embassy as a diplomat, stationed in London, England. Marissa is an extremely impressive woman. Her job has stationed her all around the world in great places such as D.C., Hong Kong, Belgium, and now London! On Thursday night, Marissa sent us a message to meet her at the embassy. Upon our arrival, Marissa informed us that it was "quiz night," at the embassy, and she had told her colleagues that her 20-year old cousin and friend would be helping her team out with the pop culture category (the one they struggle with the most). Mac and I easily obliged!

After stripping down for security, and leaving all my beloved electronics with them (they took my camera, water bottle, cell phone, CF card, and extra camera battery), my bag felt light as air, and we descended into the embassy basement. Obviously  I couldn't take any photos, but I wish I could have! This massive basement was lined with tables full of embassy workers, chowing down on bar food and drinking beer. The bar in the embassy is one of the cheapest around (European standards). We were provided a drink, some munchies, and a sheet with Disney characters to double-check (a set of quiz questions).

Mac and I had a blast. Mac was particularly good with the music category, and I had my take at the number one tennis players. Aside from it being quiz night, we had such a great time. It was amazing to be surrounded by such knowledgable people (individual's who know capitals to every country in the entire world, and their president and form of legislation...amongst other international topics), Marissa being one of them.

We ended up having Indian food with Marissa, and a few of her colleagues. I was so excited, not only to dine with them, but also to have ethnic food! My taste buds were loving all the flavors, and Marissa was very kind to order me a very spicy vegetable dish, which I consumed eagerly. 

Cousins: Marissa and Mac

Thank you so much to Marissa and her family for being such great hosts! She gave Mac and I such great insight into life after college, when it comes to getting started with our careers, as well as settling down with a family.

London was a great city to us. We met up with Kate our second to last evening, and our last night we all went out on the town, before our shows (Queen for Kate, Shakespeare for Mac and I). Least to say, the three of us had a wonderful Fall break! I'm so happy and grateful for all the research, and planning all my friends partook in this vacation. I couldn't have asked for anything better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment