Thursday, December 6, 2012

Roma Antica

Mac and I in rainy Pompeii
Photo Credit: Abby Lopez

Italiano: Roma Antica
English: Ancient Rome

One of the classes I'm taking this quarter is called Ancient Roman Civilization. It was important for me, while choosing classes, that I take a class based on Ancient History, seeing as I am living in the "eternal city." Lately, I've been adventuring on quite a few sight visits for my class (much better than sitting in a two hour lecture in a dingy little classroom). Here are details about the three most recent sites we've seen. 







Ostia Antica

Ostia Antica, is an ancient archeological site located 45 minutes, via train, from Rome. Back in ancient times, this was known as the port town, where all of the imports and exports came to and from Rome. Ostia, in latin, means "mouth," meaning at the mouth of the Tiber river. It's one of the most preserved towns from the ancient world dating back to the 3rd Century B.C. During our site visit, my teacher, Professor Corrado, discussed the evolution, from port town, to thriving city. We saw tons of ruins, such as old domus' (ancient houses), bathhouses and their hypocaust systems (heating systems), wine barrels, amphitheaters, courtyards and even latrines (public bathrooms). 







Musei Capitolini

Our last day of lecture we ventured to the Capitoline Museums (Musei Capitolini), where we viewed countless pieces of artwork, primarily sculptures. I particularly liked all of the bronze statues photographed above, most of which were donated by Pope Sixtus IV. I was excited to see the she-wolf with baby-forms of Romulus and Remus, which are part of the mythological, story that details the foundation of Rome. In addition, we were presented with gloomy, but gorgeous views of the Roman Forum. 




Pompeii: Danielle, Mac and Carissa (lovin' it...); Rainy City; Professor and Class; Abby and I

We came, we saw...we left soaking wet. 
My Quote of the Day.

Our last class, and excursion, took us to Pompeii, in Southern Italy. Pompeii is a giant excavated ancient town. It's probably one of the best preserved ancient cities that still stands in all of Italy. The reason for it being in such great shape is due to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D. After the volcano erupted, the entire city was covered in ash. Countless years of restoration and excavation have uncovered the vast city of Pompeii. There's a large section yet to be excavated!

Unfortunately, it was pouring down rain. Not only was it hard to see, take notes, and walk around (cobblestones to the maximum degree!), but our professor was not loving the environment. Her mood definitely brought the rest of her students down which was unfortunate, because we were all excited to go on this trip. 

Luckily, both of her classes were able to attend together. I was grateful that most of my apartments were there, so at least we could joke with each other in the miserable conditions. Least to say, I would love to go back to Pompeii someday and explore the area when it's not completely pouring and freezing! 

Overall, I feel fortunate to be able to have viewed such historic places with a guide (a.k.a Professor Corrado). Although Ancient History may not be my forte, it definitely helps to have someone there guiding me through the history and process, in particular someone who is used to teaching college students. 

T-minus 8 days until I am back in California (where did the time go?!?!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment