Monday, August 20, 2012

En Route: Nuovo Inizio.

Mt. Tam

Italian: Nuovo Inizio
English: Fresh Start

Hello, or Ciao, to my wonderful friends and family! Here begins my documentation of a new journey I am about to embark on: spending the Fall of my third year of college abroad in Rome, Italy. I am still in shock that I will be spending the next four months abroad. I am excited, nervous, slightly scared, but most of all ready to take a break from my life in the U.S. and ready to start afresh somewhere new.


Packing- I dare to argue I did not overpack...

The reasoning behind the name of my blog: Nuovo Inizio, which means "fresh start," in Italian is quite simple. Over the past three months, I've experienced a lot of change in my life. People who were once close to me have come and gone. I have encountered the feeling of loss, and more specifically death, for the first time. Both experiences have left behind a sour set of emotion. Most importantly, I feel as though I've finally transitioned from being a child, into an adult. Moreover, I've had to grow up really fast in a short window of time. Although these experiences have been some of the worst, they've also taught me the most about myself, and about life in general. I see my semester abroad as the greatest opportunity to have a fresh start, and I couldn't be more grateful.



Travel Attire and Eco-Coffee Lid, only in SFO.

Despite my research, I still have very little idea of what to expect once I land in Rome. As I sit here in Chicago O'Hare airport waiting for my flight to Rome, I am wondering what I'll end up doing with myself the first day. When people tell me how "exciting," this opportunity is, I agree, but with a slight bit of hesitation. This hesitation comes from the fact that I am about to jump into a whole new experience, and although I know it will be a great one, I still don't know what I will enjoy the most. 



Indulging in Food I'll Miss: American Pancakes, Mexican and Japanese Food 

I am looking forward to a few things. Food being a main one. I'm not as ecstatic about pasta, pizza or even gelato, rather I am looking forward to understanding how Italians and Europeans utilize seasonal ingredients, and employ the concept of buying fresh food, and using them to make their cuisine. I look forward to all of the art and history the city of Rome, and country of Italy possesses. I am curious about my classes, and am anxious to learn some Italian, and most of all I am ready to just jump in, and experience a place that is apart from American Culture.

Flight From SFO to Chicago O'Hare

I welcome you all to continue following this blog, and stay updated with my adventure over the course of the next few months. Stay tuned for the next post, which will be in my new home across the world! Ciao!





4 comments:

  1. Sooooo excited to read your blog!! Your gonna have a blast and I'm really ecstatic for you and your new adventure. Don't forget to send me and chris bday presents :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo excited to read your blog!! Your gonna have a blast and I'm really ecstatic for you and your new adventure. Don't forget to send me and chris bday presents :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is there to say... you are AWESOME!

    I (and more so Liana) understand your hesitation about your decision but trust us and your gut instinct (for initially signing up for this trip) that this is a great choice! This is a terrific time and way for you to heal, learn and start a new chapter in life. Your life and your experiences from this point on will not be the same. The way you relate to others and your understanding of the world will forever be changed.

    I look forward to your BEAUTIFUL photos of Italia and your charming stories of experiences!

    Buona Fortuna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you bugs excited to see more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete