Sunday, August 26, 2012

Orienting Ourselves: Buondi!

Mac and I outside the Pantheon

Italian: Buondi
English: Good Day

The past few days have been filled with delicious food, day and night adventures, and orientation for my school's program. I have done a lot of walking and am attempting to further acquaint myself with the area around my apartment in Trastevere, as well as grasp the route to school, and the surroundings around the study center. 



Bir & Fud

Mac and I decided to celebrate our first night in Italy by going out to try a local restaurant. However, the local place turned out to be closed. In August, the majority of restaurants and local businesses in Italy close down to go on vacation, we learned this the hard way by not calling ahead, and instead just venturing out. However, this didn't stop us, and with the use of Katie Parla's rome for foodies app on Mac's iPhone we were directed to another place. Funny enough, when we got to the second recommendation, we realized the place had a dive bar-espque look to it, and was definitely not our scene. Right across from it was Bir & Fud, where we decided to settle after a few failed attempts and walking around for an extended period of time. It was around 10 p.m. by the time we ordered food and drinks, however it was well worth it. Although I am new to the drinking scene, since I'm not yet 21, this pale ale was delicious and recommended by our waiter. Paired with our eggplant, mozzarella and basil pizza, it was such a great start to some of my soon to be many foodie adventures abroad. I didn't want to have the classic margherita (I will eventually...) and it was absolutely delicious, especially paired with Bir & Fud's crafted beer made for a great combination. 






On Thursday, en route to our orientation, Mac and I decided to go an hour early and explore the side streets prior to heading to our school's first day of orientation. Aside from me constantly stumbling over cobblestones, we also stumbled upon Roscioli. Roscioli is a delicious pastry and deli shop. It's mother restaurant is less than twenty feet away, and has a cheese and meet assortment as well as the option for guests to sit down and eat (Mac and her Mom previously ate here). We chose the smaller location because of the friendly atmosphere, and it also fits our budgets. I enjoyed a pastry and espresso (not photographed) for my first visit, and Mac and I shared one crocchette (seen above), essentially it's a delicious fried rice ball that is similar to a grainy risotto. What I found most entertaining to watch while we ate, is how the Roscioli workers cut the pizza. It was very butcher-like, as they took large sharp knives, gave a couple of loud swings, and served their customers however much they wanted. Everything is priced by weight, including your pastries! Roscioli will be a frequent place for us, since it is so close to our school. 







Piazza Navona, Fountain of Four Rivers in Piazza Navona, and the Study Center

Piazza Navona is a city square, that is located minutes away from school. There are many routes you can take to school, passing the Piazza being one of them. The Piazza is a fantastic example of Baroque Architecture. Yesterday, we took a tour with one of the art history professors from our school, who specializes in Baroque. He talked about the Piazza for nearly an hour, informing us that the area the Piazza is built on, was once the Stadium of Domitian. Domitian was the first athletic stadium built for the Romans, modeled after the Greeks. It was built entirely out of marble, and thousands upon thousands (I believe he said 50,000) spectators would flock to watch, "the games." However, after the first major flood, the stadium began to crumble, beginning the slow demise of what originally this space was used for. Now, Piazza Navona is a beautiful city square, although very touristy right now, it possess gorgeous fountains, such as the Fountain of Four Rivers, which I am photographed in front of above. 

The Study Center, otherwise known as our school, is a nice Roman building, as seen above. I believe there are four flours, and so far I have seen the main offices, library and computer lab. Expect more photos and better explanation of my school in the next week!




It wouldn't be Italy if there wasn't a gelato shop on every corner of the city. Gelateria del Teatro is fairly close to the school, so with the guidance of Mac and Katie Parla's food recommendation, we ventured here. If you don't already know, I've worked in a gelato shop my entire senior year of high school, and the past three summers. Noci, is a local, organic, artisan gelateria that only uses seasonal ingredients, and serves gelato and sorbetto. Spoiled, picky, and slightly sick of the treat, I ventured into the Gelateria with little enthusiasm and the thought I would only taste a few flavors. However, I was intrigued by some of their flavors such as Honey Lemon Rosemary, Raspberry Sage and White Chocolate Pistachio. The Raspberry Sage sold me, and convinced me to buy the tiniest cup, along with Stracciatella (sweet cream with chocolate chips). I wish I had stuck with the Raspberry Sage, because I actually wasn't impressed with the Stracciatella, and prefer Noci's more. The chocolate they used was too dark and overpowered the raspberry. Overall, I would say I liked this place, but only for their unique flavors.





Kate and Mac in front of the Pantheon, The Pantheon, and The Trevi Fountain.

After Friday's Academic Orientation, my fellow roommates, Kate and Mac, along with myself ventured to the Pantheon. I was immediately awestruck by this glorious building. The Pantheon means, "to all the gods," it is extremely well preserved, and the oculus in the center illuminates the building to be that much more breathtaking. Kate, does a great job explaining a few pieces of artwork and detailing more facts about the pantheon, so definitely feel free to check out her blog to see her perspective too throughout this trip. Now, The Pantheon is simply ten minutes from our school, and another short walk brings us to the Trevi Fountain. The Fountain is half under construction, and was packed with even more tourists than The Pantheon, so we didn't stay long. I'm going to save my infamous coin toss for another day (or night rather, since less people will be there). 

I have concluded that I am spoiled with the location of my school, and the fact that I actually get to spend the first part of my junior year abroad in this glorious city. Italian classes start tomorrow, Monday, and I will have morning Beginner Italian classes from 9:30-12 and 12:30-1:30 M-F. Expect more updates once school starts. Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. GELATO: Thanks for taking one for the team! =)

    Great job with the blog so far! It has a little of everything and I want to know more...

    Safe travels and have a blast!

    ReplyDelete